Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 166 - 167: The Frying Continues....

The two splits before my weekend and prep was looking well on track, the new guys in larder are doing a great job, there was little fault in their prep lists and organization of the section.

I was ecstatic to hear that our water bath would be arriving within the next 3 days, I was hoping it would be here on one of the days I was working of course but, I waited and waited to the very last moment of my Thursday night shift and the space we had made for it was just blank.

Both days were relatively similar with a calm low seated lunch and a massive 120+ dinner service. I got several new burns whilst helping out near the deep fryers leaving lashings of painful red scars across my arms which sting as though boiling hot acid had been used to whip my bare flesh.

A function dessert platter came back with several pieces of Donovans’ bread and butter pudding which is usually crème pat sandwiched between two slices of high quality fruit bread then pan fried like French toast; this is usually served with a butter scotch sauce and caramelized apples in grand mariner as well as hazelnut ice cream on the side.

Still eager with happiness from my ‘Apple Blini’ from the previous night we decided to create something truly worthy of stopping the heart.

With the fryers just turned off a quick dip in beer batter and in the bread and butter pudding went to be pulled out when golden and crispy. From this stage icing sugar some more butterscotch sauce then sprinkled with crushed hazelnuts.

One bite and the heart slows along with time itself as the melt in your mouth custard just oozes out of the crispy shell to mix with the slightly bitter butter scotch and cooled by a spoon of ice cream, this was definitely going down in my books as a heart stopper and a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment