Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 71: Ricotta Fritters and Arancini Arm Ache

Well a ½ day on the pass. I got in just before 9. I started off by cleaning 12 crabs, then off to finely chop some onion celery and carrots for my Mushroom Arancini balls for the function on Thursday and Friday nights.

There were 3 recipes for me to make but with my lack of knife skills and inexperience I managed to successfully make the delicious and fluffy Ricotta Fritters and prep up on the Sicilian egg plant salad. Before I ran out of time and had to set up and finish rolling and crumbing all the fried stuff that would be on the 4 taste menu in the next few days.

I think I rolled and crumbed over 100 items today and boy did my hands get dirty! Today I saw all the duties that were on the people who worked on the pass, as well as having to look after everyone in the different sections and plate food.   


Well anyway here is the Recipe.  Enjoy

Savory Ricotta Fritters
1 cup Ricotta
1⁄3 cup Parmesan
3 tsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
1⁄2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1⁄8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
6 eggs
1 cup Milk
1⁄4 cup Flour
1 cup dried bread crumbs
Canola oil, for frying

1) In large bowl stir together ricotta, 4 eggs, flour, lemon zest and nutmeg, until mix forms are wet dough like consistency.

2) In a separate bowl mix together dried bread crumbs, chopped parsley and parmesan cheese, make sure the crumb mixture is consistently mixed.


3) Wisk eggs in a new bowl then add milk.


4) Season ricotta mixture with salt and peper to taste. Then begin to roll and crumb the fritters, using the keep one hand dry method. Feel free to double crumb if you have to


5) Heat enough oil to 150 degrees and begin to deep fry in batches for around 3 minutes.


6) Drain Ricotta Fritters on paper towel and serve with a wedge of lemon.

2 comments:

  1. i made my own ricotta the other day - and then did a taste comparison with some from Coles. Mine was so much better, even if it doesn't last very long. ricotta fritters sound right up my alley - unfortunately i live with someone intolerant to gluten....and dairy....and eggs! fail much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAhaha Wow Gluten and Dairy.. poor guy or gal. at work we have a Coeliac, it surprising how often people forget and don't make a staff meal he can have.

    I was doubtful at first when I saw the recipe I had no idea what it would look or taste like but after i made them. MmMMm deep fried cheese does it get any better!

    - The Pantsless Chef

    ReplyDelete