Wednesday, July 28, 2010

School Day 15: Stocks Soups & Sauces COMPLETE!

Having a late night watching the finale of Master Chef (Congrats to Adam) I woke up late for my assessment. I quickly showered and ran up the hill to school, to find our teacher was also running late.

We started off straight into the kitchen, with our deadline at 2PM, me and some other students took the opportunity, confident we could finish in time to take a quick smoke break. I came back to realize that there weren’t enough big pots for me to follow my running sheet so I threw it out and winged it.

I got my chicken stock on and started to clarify some butter. I headed to the fridges to get my mirapoix and other vegetables and aromatics for the soup and reductions.

After my mirapoix was done for my chicken and consommé, my reductions were ready to come off. I did my burre blanc 1st then hollandaise with my derivative with whipped cream making it a Mousseline. Next I put my pumpkin and carrot into the combi, did my roux for my béchamel and fish veloute, separating the roux because I hadn’t started my fish stock yet. Next my béchamel and mornay were done.

My chicken stock could be strained now and I could use my pot to for the fish stock. Next would be my consommé, because this would take the longest, after I got that on my veg were roasted off and I pureed my soup with the remaining chicken stock in the thermo-mix and served it with goat cheese and celery cress.

With two things left I was well ahead of the rest of the class and the time was 11PM, being commended with my speed by the teachers, I finished my fish stock off and make the veloute. Went for one more smoke break and whilst I cooked off some mince in the oven and came back in time for me to put my consommé to be finish at a early 12:15PM first done with some quality stock soups and sauces!

Roast Pumpkin & Carrot Soup with Goats Curd
Fish Stock & Veloute

2 comments:

  1. I always want to cook up something elaborate after watching Master Chef :) It looks like you've got the routine down pat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that the shows over, WHAT TO DOOOO!?

    ReplyDelete