Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 154 - 155: Contagious Chilli Crab

This week I’m only working 3 days, I’ve requested some time off to spend some QT with the girlfriend and hopefully get a booking at the much anticipated opening of Duck Duck Goose at QV.

This week I had two splits before my break, on Wednesday I was asked to make a sauce for some blue swimmer crabs for the four tastes. From memory I had a sauce I randomly came up with earlier last year, a variation on a sauce used for chilli mud crab. Though it was slightly more Asian than they usually like for Donovans I was allowed to use it on the tastes. That night we had 100 booked and we sold at least 50 tastes. I really hope it was the crabs that made it the main selling point.

Wednesday morning I was actually on the pass. When chef got in I already was setup with most of my tastes set up for lunch and dinner. For lunch I had bresola with olives and radishes, swordfish with pickled fennel and coriander with salmon roe, braised red and yellow peppers and pumpkin, pine nuts and spinach frittata.


For dinner there was grilled quail salad, carrot and mint fritters, chilli blue swimmer crabs, and the braised peppers again. Everything sold well again that night with them having to be refreshed multiple times.


Pumpkin, Pine Nut and Spinach, Frittata.

Ingredients

11 Eggs
1 Onion,Finely Sliced
150 Toasted Pine Nuts
1/2 Butternut Pumpkin, Julienned
Handful of Baby Spinach
500ml Thickened Cream
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese

Method

1. Preheat Oven to 175

2. Sweat off onion in a pan till colored and soft

3. Add in julienned Pumpkin and Pine Nuts.

4. Add Spinach and cook out till pumpkin is soft and the spinach is wilted.

5. Mix eggs and cream together.

6. Add in Pumpkin and Onion mixture with a cup of Parmesan and combine

7. Season to taste.

8. Pour into non stick pan and bake for 30 minutes or till set.

9. Let Frittata cool for 10 Minutes and turn out onto baking rack.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment