Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 156: Pass Panic

After returning from my extended weekend, I forgot my shift was on the pass. Sunday lunches are normally smooth but a miscommunication between front of house and the kitchen caused a major problem. There was 2 minutes till function time, they realized a entrée had been made with pork products, when the whole function was pork free. With no back up involtini. The sous chef went to make a dish from the chicken meant for the pies that night.

With my lack of experience I couldn’t direct service while she was making the dish and I had to be helped by main course to get the tables out in time. I got in trouble for not being able to provide the support for the section I was put on. Overall a bad day for me. 

3 comments:

  1. but you probably learned lots about how crises in a kitchen should be handled - and you want to learn that while your responsibilities in a kitchen are relatively minor - would be awful to make it to sous and then fall to bits when something went wrong! on a brighter note, i made some naan bread the other day - it was really easy and tasted like it came from my local indian restaurant, so i was chuffed. i also made some Stollen (dresdener fruit xmas yeast cake) and it got the thumbs up from my german-born friend!


    going to the william angliss open day in a couple of weeks. does sofitel have an open day? their website is utterly useless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm i really don't think they do. I think its supposed to be one of those industry things, because its such a small school they spread by word of mouth only.

    But ill check for you on Monday and see what they say. When i rang up and asked for details they sent a email with a bunch of stuff that was kinda useful.

    - The Pantsless Chef

    ReplyDelete
  3. ringing them up is one thing i have been meaning to do for a while, but it just goes right out of my head. i have put it on my to do list in the front of my uni exercise book (im seeing if i can squeeze 4 subjects into one book this semester, just for fun) - this is my last semester of boredom, so excited to be almost free!!

    ReplyDelete