Monday, February 22, 2010

School Day 2: OHS/Security and BRAISING!

Test wasn’t too bad today though it required a 75% to pass. The paper comprised of a few questions on personal and environmental hygiene, different types of micro organisms, cross contamination, food temperatures and conditions which bacteria thrive.

After the test we watched a few old 90’s styled training videos on OHS teaching how to lift and a little further info on kitchen hygiene and how to clean down work surfaces before we sat down and did a group exercise about the OHS/ Security topic.

Finally with all that out of the way we were given something more down my alley! Next topic BASIC METHODS OF COOKARY! Braising and Stewing!
Seems as though after the test on OHS next week we get to enter the KITCHEN!!

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I've been spending a lot of time reading on chef history and sanitation, etc. I'm anxious to get started on actual cooking. I'm loving your blog. I hope you don't mind, but I referenced your blog in my article this morning. I was going over hand washing and wanted to share what your UV light day was like. If you want, I can remove the reference but I figured you wouldn't mind the props. :-)

    Thanks again for sharing your journey. It's actually really helpful for me and my self-studying ways.

    Best,
    Michelle
    myowndamnkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind at all Michelle. I've been reading along on your blog too. It's interesting to find out all that history and stuff about Escoffier and how the term restaurant came about. I haven't had a chance to look it up myslef but with your summaries I wont have to! THANK YOU!

    - The Pantsless Chef

    ReplyDelete