Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day 1: Pain....

What a great but painful first day. Let me walk you through it..
Arriving just before 9AM, I filled out a few forms and I was underway. The day started off with a tour of the kitchen sections, larder, hot entrée, mains, grill and pastry as well as the fridges and store rooms.


My first task was to pack away the morning deliveries then clean prep the vegetables used by larder for the day, this and getting to know my colleges took up most of the day till lunch service started. Watching eagerly I tried to learn how their kitchen worked but it was all very overwhelming, after being shown all the task preformed by larder during a service I was told I would be able to participate during dinner.

I took my break at 2:45 and went exploring the area. Resuming my shift again at 5PM. I was taught how to shuck oysters, as this was going to be my responsibility during dinner. After some minor stabs and a little frustration I got the hang on it. Shucking 12 dozen by the end of the night I was told.

By dinner time my fatigue started to get to me, but pushing past the ‘wall’ I managed to work a 11.5 hour shift and survive. Not bad for a first day.
Other minor tasks I preformed were.

  • Crusting duck confit
  • Assembling salads.
  • Prepping herbs.
  • Cleaning fish heads.
  • Skimming soup.
  • Cleaning fridge and grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment