Saturday, October 30, 2010

Restaurant Review: Pope Joan


Birthday breakfast. I had no other place in mind but the infamous Pope Joan. On the Bruns
wick end of Nicolson Street this quirky suburban café is where I wanted to have my 1st meal to celebrate my quarter century.

Owned by Ben Foster and Matt Wilkinson, the menu is full of interesting combinations like Souffled nettle, sorrel & Meredith Feta Omelette and the Asparagus salad with Witlof, Smoked Yoghurt and Mimosa Eggs.


But what caught my eye was the beautifully plated heavier option featured in this month’s Gourmet Traveler the Crumbed coddled egg, anchovy & black pudding salad.

The café is on the main road next to the steel mill kinda place, but looks like an ordinary nothing special building a old school dinner with a 70’s retro feel, what catches the eye is the marble topped milk creates and through the side entrance a lush green garden full of herbs and edible flowers.
I started with a great coffee as I read through the menu and was wow-d by just how intrusting this place really is; it gave me the feeling like I was having lunch at a friend’s grandma’s place on a Sunday afternoon with the sun shining on my back and classic Nat King Cole track playing softly overhead.

Having decided on the Black pudding Salad and the Ploughmen’s Lunch, I ordered a mandarin juice as well as a Pineapple and Orange.


As soon as it arrived I couldn’t help but to crack the egg and watch as the yolk slowly ozzed over the salad, soaking it with fatty goodness. The black pudding was rich and meaty yet remaining perfectly moist and full of flavor. Texture and flavor well balanced and I was hooked, I want this EVERYDAY!



The Ploughmen’s Lunch was pretty much a picnic on a plate. A bit of pickled vegetables, some pineapple chutney, good bread, few slices of ham off the bone, quality cheddar and a small Waldorf salad. Everything you could ask for in a breakfast. Nothing to heavy just a nice mixture of condiments to get you started.


The staff here is laid back, very friendly and know their stuff. Not intrusive at all which is always good for a breakfast place. I think I might come back tomorrow and bring some more people so they can enjoy and share in this little suburban secret.

Pope Joan on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment