Tuesday, June 22, 2010

School Day 12: Consume my Consommé

Woke up to a highly foggy Melbourne today and being late from staying up catching up on Masterchef last night after work I decided it was best not to shower and be any more late brining down the wrath of one of my teachers.

Consommé is on today’s menu. From our brief before we got into the kitchen a consommé is a clear broth made from a richly flavored stock that has been clarified through the use of egg protein, known as a raft. This raft catches all the impurities which usually come to the top, leaving us with a clear soup.

This long process would mean we would be in the kitchen for a while today, fussing over our stocks. Meanwhile my phone was filling with messages about a gunman near my house, as we went on our break I saw n read up on what happened n watched as helicopter flew low around my house and school. 

In our spare time we made little wontons dumplings to go with our consommé, I went with the usual chili, lemongrass, ginger, basil, coriander; chicken and pork mix with a dash of sesame oil for my filling. I usually go ½ pork ½ prawns.

After 2 hours of staring at my foamy raft covering what I hoped to be a clear as day beautiful water like consommé, I removed my raft to reveal my clear slightly yellow sweet chicken broth which I was very amazed by. I DID IT!

4 comments:

  1. very nice :)

    Are you still enjoying cooking and working as much 7 or so months on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'm still loving it but during winter its been very quiet n sometimes i wish i could do more stuff like at least get shown the prep for the next section. so when i get to move i wont be in over my head like the last 2 people were.

    Time has really flown by. Do you know which school you'll be attending yet?

    - The Pantsless Chef

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope no idea, it depends really on what happens with the tafe fees - it could be one in NSW for all i know!

    Are you allowed to ask to be shown new things, or is that a nono?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They try to show as much as they can, but not much stock/produce comes in during the winter so there's no detailed information, prep gets done in like 2 hours then usually i get sent on a break for like 5 hours because apprentices gets paid by the hour.

    - The Pantsless Chef

    ReplyDelete