Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 101 - 103: Char Siu Bao, Cleaning and Cake

Long and boring nights. I think I would rather get slammed than sit around waiting for tables to come in. With nothing to do we resorted into cleaning things. We took advantage of the night by making a few recipes we always wanted to try. I started on bread dough to make steamed pork buns and someone else attempted a Stephanie Alexander adaptation of a flourless orange cake which I really liked.

Both recipes turned out very well. But my buns could have been whiter instead they were a dirty white and in some areas which were somewhat kinda see through allowing the meat to show through.



Flourless Orange and Almond Cake


6 eggs (beaten)
2 large oranges, washed
250 g ground almonds
250 g sugar
1 tsp baking powder



Boil oranges in a little water in a covered saucepan for two hours. Allow to cool, then cut open, remove pips, and chop roughly.

Preheat oven to moderate and grease and flour a springform tin. Blend oranges and remaining ingredients thoroughly in a food processor. Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 1 hour.

I made a simple cream cheese icing with just Philadelphia, orange juice, and icing sugar and finished it with some toasted flaked almonds. I wanted to try candied orange peel as well but i ran out of oranges and its raining so I really can't be bothered buying some.

No comments:

Post a Comment