Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Reflection 365: Thanks for a great year!

It’s been a year and maybe a little time for reflection. It was 365 days ago on the 18th of November 2009 when the start of my dream and the first step in becoming more than just another Melbourne food fanatic began.


52 weeks ago I set foot in my first job in a commercial kitchen that wasn’t owned by someone in my family. There’s no way I could have imagined that my first job in hospitality would be at a fine establishment such as the iconic Donovans. Here I’ve witnessed the massive staff turnover in hospitality the coming and going of many friends. Even the head chef left.


I experienced first hand the handing over to a new generation, a passing of the torch to the age where technology and science are used in conjunction with passion for a new style of food.


The last year was difficult there were ups and downs, days where I didn’t want to go to work because of the dreaded fear of being the weakest link in a chain of great chefs.


There were days where I couldn’t wait to see, taste and experience new food, days when I would volunteer to come in on my days off just so I could be a part of something new.


I’ve participated in competitions against my peers from all around Victoria and helped out in a 3rd year competition supporting the best of my school. I’ve had some small cuts and some BIG burns and the scars from each to tell a story of my 1st year in the kitchen.


Well a year on and I know my way around my section Larder like it was the back of my hand. Soon to be on the pass for a while I see on the upcoming time tables and hopefully on to bigger and better sections soon after.


This blog has been a great place to share all my experiences, thanks to all those who are following, thanks for all your support and kind words throughout the year, you’ve followed me as the blog ranked as high as 25th of Urbanspoon, and whilst I been too busy to give close to daily posts.


What would u guys like to see more of? Recipes? Restaurants? Photos? Tell me and I'll try make it happen.


You guys rock! All who are following me and all who I currently work with and those who I’ve worked with in the past and present? Thanks for being part of my hopefully long and epic journey!


And finally a very special thanks to my girlfriend who has been so supportive with my job over the year!


1 comment:

  1. A MASSIVE congratulations on your first year in the world of cooking Mr. Pantless Chef! Your journey has only just begun and I can't wait to read more on it through these blog of yours.

    Keep it up LI!!

    P.S: more photos, more reviews, more recipes :) perhaps easier ones for noobs like me to follow lol

    ReplyDelete